IPP Mail Archive: Re: RE: IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting applicati

Re: RE: IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting applicati

kugler@us.ibm.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:17:14 -0700

<199907140106.vaa2342-@interlock2.lexmark.com> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ipp/?start=5989
> Tom:
>
> While a TCP/IP connection might be reliable when it is open, that
reliability
> doesn't apply to SMTP or UDP. Is accounting only valid using some
methods?
> What happens when the TCP/IP connection is dropped unexpectedly?
What happens
> if the channel is reliable but the printer is too busy?

I think SMTP is more reliable than straight TCP/IP. At least it gives
you some form of message queuing, with retries and all. This helps in
the very scenarios you mention: connection dropped, printer busy, etc.

-Carl