IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re: Root OID for IPP Printer Sche

RE: IPP> Re: Root OID for IPP Printer Schema

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 20:52:09 EDT

    Hi Jay,

    Good question - it turns out there are existing tools
    and scenarios where a system administrator on a customer
    site will populate LDAP directory objects in an environment
    that either: a) doesn't use SLP at all; or b) doesn't have
    any coordination/shadowing of SLP registrations to LDAP
    directory entries.

    As I mentioned in my note to James Kempf, one example is
    where an LDAP directory has DMTF CIM printer objects and
    there's a desire to augment them with other attributes
    that come from the IPP community for printers.

    When SLP templates are translated directly to one-to-one
    LDAP schemas, they always have some SLP-centric base
    attributes that are both useless to the system admin
    and generally unknown (if they weren't auto-shadowed
    by an SLP Directory Agent).

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
      High North Inc