IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> ADM - Pick your favorite notifica

RE: IPP> ADM - Pick your favorite notification delivery method by July 7

From: henrik.holst@i-data.com
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 08:31:23 EDT

    Well, all the mobile phones here in Denmark, are also able to receive an
    Email.
    I don't know if it's the same in other countries, but here I don't see any
    reason to use SMS if I can
    use Email.

    Henrik

    Anthony.Porter@xeikon.com@pwg.org on 29-06-2000 14:03:43

    Sent by: owner-ipp@pwg.org

    To: cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com, ipp@pwg.org
    cc:

    Subject: RE: IPP> ADM - Pick your favorite notification delivery method by
          July 7

    Has the possibility for supporting SMS/Pager notifications been dropped? I
    dont find anything about in the Notification spec.

    In Europe now almost every man woman and child has an SMS phone, so SMS
    would be the notification method of choice where a human is the recipient.
    I think it is even more important than email notification. Our printers
    are
    usually located remotely from the customer submitting the job, so IPP is
    useful for that. On the other hand the person who is going to pick up the
    printed output will usually be travelling around. Many are freelance
    graphic designers. For them, an SMS notification is perfect. Another
    point
    is that the machine operator is usually wandering around doing all sorts of
    jobs, so SMS is the ideal way to notify the operator of any abnormal
    machine
    conditions.

    For our customers I think SMS is by far the most important notification
    mechanism, so we would implement that first and then think about maybe
    doing
    some of the others. Old style pagers seem to have gone the way of 8-track
    stereo.

    Xeikon NV
    Anthony Porter
    Project Consultant
    Tel: +32 34 43 17 54 Fax: +32 34 43 14 48
    Mobile (and SMS): +32 75 73 66 39
    Mailto:anthony.porter@xeikon.com
    Vredenbaan 72
    B-2640 Mortsel, Belgium