IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> OPS - Redirect-Job (a ka Move-Job

RE: IPP> OPS - Redirect-Job (a ka Move-Job) included in Job and P rinter Admin (Set2) spec

From: kugler@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 12:38:23 EDT

    Tom wrote:
    >>For the Redirect-Job, the "redirection-printers-supported" Printer
    >Attribute
    >>is all that is necessary for a Printer to indicate to which other
    Printers
    >>it is willing to redirect output. We don't need to introduce a Server
    >>object to help with the simple Redirect-Job that redirects jobs among
    >>Printers on the same server.
    >>
    >Then I don't think you need to introduce a little 's' "server", either.
    >It's an implementation detail whether or not the
    >"redirection-printers-supported" are on the same server. You only need to
    >specify the protocol. If an implementation can meet the spec, it doesn't
    >matter how it does it. You don't need to specify an architecture
    involving
    >a "server". (If there is a reason that "server" is important, then I'm
    >still not getting it.)
    >
    >TH> I think you are getting it. We don't need to introduce the concept of
    >"server" at all for Redirect-Job. All that is necessary is that a Printer
    >(object) be able to enumerate the Printers to which it is willing to
    >redirect a job. A Printer indicates this list in the values of its
    >"redirection-printers-supported".

    This then brings us back around to my original point, which is that this
    wording in the spec is too restrictive:

    > This operation is limited to redirecting a job to another
    > Printer on the same server.

    For example, in our case, we should be able to redirect a Job to any
    Printer on a server that's in the same "namespace" (or "cell"), even though
    a namespace may contain multiple servers.

         -Carl