IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> notification methods

Re: IPP> notification methods

From: kugler@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 17:24:39 EDT

    It's equally impractical in the road warrior scenario. Most ISPs won't let
    you run a server unless you pay them for the privilege.

    SOHO is another problem. Windows Connection Sharing and other network
    address translation schemes are often used so that multiple hosts on a LAN
    can all reach the Internet through a single IP address allocated by the
    ISP. Of course, ISPs will be happy to sell you more addresses, for a
    monthly fee...

    So, it's impractical for enterprise, SOHO, and dial-up. What does that
    leave? Possibly some university networks (and Lexmark ;-) ); I can't
    think of much else.

         -Carl

    Jay Martin <jkm@underscore.com> on 08/04/2000 02:53:08 PM

    Please respond to jkm@underscore.com