IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeti

Re: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeting (RE: IPP> ADM - The IPP Notification I-Ds will now go the IESG)

From: Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 14:57:30 EDT

  • Next message: Manros, Carl-Uno B: "IPP> New PROPOSED STANDARD document for publishing as RFC - Internet P rinting Protocol (IPP): LDAP Schema for Printer Services <draft-ietf-ipp- ldap-printer-schema-03.txt>"

    Bob,

    With all due respect, might I suggest you go back and read the *rest* of
    Paul Moore's response and address the many other concerns he so clearly
    stated. (I've attached Paul's msg for your convenience.)

    IMHO, Paul asks the best question of all:

    > Again I ask what the purpose is? Is the idea to enrich the end user experience
    > or is it an attempt to overcome the 'INDP wont go through a firewall' issue.

    Why do you feel we need machine-readable components in an email msg?

    I know for a fact that I am not alone in being totally confused about
    the real-world requirements for dynamic/binary data vs. simple textual
    email for printing notifications. Why would anyone would *demand* relatively
    real-time notifications for print jobs outside of a firewall, anyway?
    (God only knows such a person would never PAY for software that does this,
    right? ;-)

            ...jay

    attached mail follows:

    First - we all agreed not to do it. This seems like a good reason not to do it.

    Second, what is the point of machine-readable email? To whom did it get sent?
    There is some mention of a browser plug-in - I along with many people - dont use
    a browser to read my mail. Presumably the 'plug in' would read the email ver my
    shoulder and then proceed to tell me what the human readable portion of the
    mail told me anyway. So now I get the same message twice. Whats the point? I
    have to install software on every client - the only purpose of which is to
    repeat a message

    If the email gets sent to some other mail box - how does this get set up? In
    general I cannot just (as a client) invent a new mailbox name - that is the
    whole point about stire and forward mail systems.

    Again I ask what the purpose is? Is the idea to enrich the end user experience
    or is it an attempt to overcome the 'INDP wont go through a firewall' issue.

    I agree that in many cases INDP wont go through a firewall - but I dont see that
    as an issue in real life. I send a job to Kinkos (or wherever), they send it to
    one of their printers, the real printer tells the Kinko print system when it has
    finished (possibly via INDP), the Kinkos print system sends me a piece of email
    telling me that it has finished. I dont see any piece missing from this
    solution.

    But what the heck, lets make it a little more complex. Plus make sure we
    distribute the flame-proof underwear to users who end up asking for page
    notifications via email.

    "Herriot, Robert" <Robert.Herriot@pahv.xerox.com> on 08/14/2000 02:20:20 PM