IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeti

Re: IPP>NOT mailto feature from IETF meeting (RE: IPP> ADM - TheIPPNotification I-Ds will now go the IESG)]

From: Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM (kugler@us.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 14:22:10 EDT

    David-

    The problem with polling (with Get-Job-Attributes) is that many Printers
    forget about a Job as soon as it has reached a final state: completed,
    aborted, or canceled. So, on one poll you see the job is in 'processing'
    state, and on the next poll you get 'client-error-not-found', and you have
    no way of knowing what the final state of the Job was before it
    disappeared.

    Otherwise, I agree with you, email is too slow, requires too much
    configuration, and is subject to abuse. But it might be better than
    nothing.

         -Carl

    David_Kellerman@nls.com@nls.com on 08/17/2000 10:50:44 AM

    Sent by: davek@nls.com