IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> machine readable etc. - why Harry

RE: IPP> machine readable etc. - why Harry is right

From: pmoore@peerless.com
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 16:40:49 EDT

    sadly I dont think this topic is open for discussion anymore - I am sure we
    could have a wonderfully productive debate on it it :-)

    We probably will have one anyway :-(

    "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com> on 08/22/2000 01:27:23 PM

    To: "'Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM'" <kugler@us.ibm.com>, "McDonald, Ira"
          <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
    cc: "'pmoore@peerless.com'" <pmoore@peerless.com>, "Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM"
          <harryl@us.ibm.com>, bwagner@digprod.com, ipp@pwg.org, "Herriot, Robert"
          <Robert.Herriot@pahv.xerox.com> (bcc: Paul Moore/AUCO/US)

    Subject: RE: IPP> machine readable etc. - why Harry is right

    Hi Carl,

    YES - it's a lousy idea to run IPP over HTTP - it's
    caused a number of discovered problems and more still
    lurking.

    If we had no HTTP substrate, the notifications over
    the Internet would be much cleaner (and more likely
    to get the firewall vendors to build stuff to support
    such a mode).