IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> REG - Proposal for "job-reci

RE: IPP> REG - Proposal for "job-recipient-name" Job Template att ribute

From: Mike Bartman (bartman@process.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 17:21:45 EDT

    > From: Hastings, Tom N [mailto:hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com]

    > TH> You mean you want to print a job for the operator but
    > don't know the
    > operator's name, i.e., you want the operator to be the job
    > recipient? I'd
    > be interested for an example situation of when an end user
    > would want to print a job for the operator.

    When the end user is a system batch job? Perhaps the recipient needs a
    report of tapes that are to be archived that night, and the system job that
    generates the report doesn't know the operators' work schedule and so
    doesn't know who is on duty, but still needs to print something for whoever
    it is. I've been in that situation before with other printing systems.

    I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-track on this discussion. If it's about printing
    things on the "banner page", then it seems to me that an arbitrary comment
    would be more flexible and useful than specifying a lot of specific items.
    Something like the "memo" feature on the coverpage, available in most fax
    software.

    If it's about how to alert a person that a job has been printed, using some
    other communication path, such as e-mail, specialized client/server
    technology, or whatever, then I don't see how you can request someone
    without knowing their "address", whatever it may be, and if you need to
    communicate to a class of people, then you will need a class-wide address,
    like an "operator" mail account, or a client running on a common monitor
    that the members of the class can all see during those times when they care.
    In that case there's no difference between a specific person and a class of
    people as far as the IPP software is concerned, right? There's just an
    "address" to notify either way.

    > TH> Or do you mean that you want the operator to somehow take
    > the job and
    > deliver it to the proper person, for which the submitter
    > doesn't know the
    > person's name? I guess that the operator would look at the
    > first few pages
    > and hope to find a person's name he/she recognizes?

    That could be the case too. Back when *I* was an operator I'd frequently
    get printouts without any routing info on them at all, and it was up to me
    to "just know" that the POs went to accounting, the orders went to the
    warehouse, and the paychecks went to personnel. The software that generated
    those printouts didn't know, or care, what happened to the stuff once it was
    printed, that was my job.

    > TH> Still confused.

    I probably am too, but maybe something in there will spark something. :^)

    -- Mike Bartman
       Process Software
       Principle Software Engineer