IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files

Re: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files Internet-Draft down-loaded

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 14:08:09 EST

    "McDonald, Ira" wrote:
    > Also, what about 'mips5' since the R5 generation has been
    > shipping for several years?

    I'm pretty sure that there are only 4 instruction set revs
    through the R12000. MIPS-1 was the instruction set provided
    on all the MIPS chips up through the R3000; the R4000 series
    added the MIPS-2 and MIPS-3 instruction sets (MIPS-2 adds
    some new 32-bit instructions, MIPS-3 is the 64-bit version);
    the R5000 and newer add the MIPS-4 instruction set (new
    multiple-add instruction, plus other junk...)

    > Also, 'sparc-32' and 'sparc-64', since UltraSPARC native code
    > is NOT compatible with SPARC.

    Right.

    > I've been saying for several months that the IPP WG members
    > are NOT qualified to populate an IANA registry of "cpu-type"
    > keywords - I STRONGLY urge that this field be changed to
    > descriptive text (human-consumable but NOT machine-consumable).

    It could be something as simple as the manufacturer's chip
    number (e.g. MC68000 for a Motorola 68000 CPU); there is some
    use in grouping some processors, but I agree that the current
    keywords don't cover things right.

    > Lastly, what the heck is 'itantium' supposed to be? Is this
    > an Intel/HP IA-64 family CPU?

    Using the naming in the spec, it would probably be "x86-64", but
    that ignores differences between processors, e.g. MMX vs. non-MMX,
    instruction sets, etc.

    As I recall, McKinley will have some new instructions, even though
    it too will be 64-bit...

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com