IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files

RE: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files Internet-Draftdown-load ed

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 12:53:20 EST

    Hi Mike,

    I originally thought we should just make available standard
    (not 'ipp:') URLs for driver software (like 'ftp:', 'http:')
    and let the client fetch the driver by conventional file
    transfer.

    But the waters get muddy. Because IPP aspires to operate
    over the public Internet and because it chose HTTP as the
    transport substrate (largely to try to punch through firewalls
    - which didn't work out, by the way), some IPP WG members
    believe that it's important to hide file transfer of drivers
    inside the SAME IPP session already established out onto
    the Internet and back into some other (target printers)
    private net.

    Since the OSF, W3C, IETF, DMTF, and several others are already
    trying to promote various software distibution protocols (which
    are much more than just file transfer, as you indicated), I
    agree the whole IPP driver download feature is dubious.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
      High North