IPP Mail Archive: IPP> What is the goal of the media list se

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 19:20:15 EDT

    The goal of developing a complete (as possible) and accurate list of media
    names and sizes is good as an industry reference and resource. But the
    creation of the self describing name seems to imply some good programmatic
    use. Our experience in driver development is that the information provided
    in the self describing name is not enough to facilitate the kinds of
    choices necessary. Missing are (at least)

    Printable Area
    Operator Intervention (required or not... i.e. media is only avail in
    manual tray)
    Short Name (very useful for command line environments)
    Actual Units (1/1000mm, for example, or other units such as pels or Twips)

    A lot of work has gone into the media list so I'm not suggesting we
    abandon it. I'd like to understand uses for the self describing name.

    I do suggest, even if we keep self describing name as is and forge ahead
    to close the work on the media list, that the next thing we need to do is
    define the media DTD or some standard structure for describing media
    characteristics... completely!
    Harry Lewis
    IBM Printing Systems