IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Proposed deletions and additions

RE: IPP> Proposed deletions and additions to Media Types for Medi a Std

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 15:22:21 EDT

    Re-reading Michael's comment, he is advocating making it clear that both
    stationery-xxx and photographic-xxx may be one or two-sided. At least we
    will make it clear that it could be either, rather than being ambiguous as
    to whether it does or does not mean one-sided or two-sided.

    However, I bet for stationery-inkjet, it will always be two-sided. So ok to
    say "both sides" only for it? How could a user tell which side to put in
    the printer for inkjet paper, if the coating was different? Both sides would
    look the same.

    So I propose the following updated specific text additions, deletions, and
    changes for Media Type for the next draft, where [] indicates changes in the
    running text that is in the D0.8 Draft:

    Reference 5 needs some fixing:
    5 = IPP Production Printing Attributes [IPP-PROD] The name in this
    document is derived from a subset of the "media-front-coating" and
    "media-back-coating" member attributes by adding the 'photographic-' prefix
    and 'stationery-' to the IPP keyword values.

    The 6 would be a Ref. like:
    6 = IPP Production Printing Attributes [IPP-PROD] The name in this
    document is derived from the "media-pre-printed" member attribute by adding
    the 'stationery-' prefix to the IPP keyword values.

    The 7 would be a Ref. like:
    7 = IPP Production Printing Attributes [IPP-PROD] The name in this
    document represents values greater than 0 of the IPP "media-hole-count"
    member attribute.

    The 8 would be a Ref. like:
    8 = IPP Production Printing Attributes [IPP-PROD] The name in this
    document represents values that are greater than or less than the "normal"
    integer value of the IPP "media-weight-metric" member attribute.

    stationery
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material [no change]
    1, 3
    stationery-coated
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material with a coating [on one or both
    sides]
    of unspecified type

    stationery-inkjet
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material whose coating [on both sides] is
    designed to minimize the spread of liquid inks

    stationery-glossy [new]
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "glossy" coating on
    one or
    both sides.
    5
    stationery-matte [new]
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "matte" coating on
    one or
    both sides.
    5
    stationery-preprinted [new]
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is pre-printed on at least
    one side.
    6
    stationery-letterhead [new]
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is pre-printed letter head
    on at least one side.
    6
    stationery-prepunched [new]
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is pre-punched. The number
    of holes is unspecified.
    7
    stationery-fine [new]
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material, such as vellum or other high
    quality paper

    stationery-heavyweight [new]
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is heavier in weight than
    the 'stationery' type.
    8
    stationery-lightweight [new]
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is lighter in weight than
    the 'stationery' type.
    8

    photographic
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material to produce photographic quality
    images. The coating is unspecified [and is on one or both sides].

    photographic-glossy
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "glossy" coating [on
    one or both sides] to produce photographic quality images.
    5

    [deleted: photographic-high-gloss and photographic-semi-gloss]

    photographic-satin
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "satin" [or
    "semi-gloss"] coating [on one or both sides] to produce photographic quality
    images.
    5
    photographic-matte
    Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "matte" coating [on
    one or both sides] to produce photographic quality images.
    5
    photographic-film
    Separately cut sheets of film used to produce photographic quality images.
    [no change]

    Tom