IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Proposed deletions and additions

Re: IPP> Proposed deletions and additions to Media Types for Media Std

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 16:58:38 EDT

    "Hastings, Tom N" wrote:
    > even if you have to run the media through twice on your one-sided printer.
    > Does anyone have any counter examples of regular paper with glossy or matte
    > being only one-sided?

    Hammermill Inkjet paper could technically be considered a matte
    stationary media but is only coated on one side (at least our box is,
    and the curl on the paper is awful... :)

    Most glossy greeting card paper is only glossy on one side; I have
    a sleeve of some that is only 28lb weight (not photo or cardstock
    weight); again, they expect you to print on both sides, but only the
    outside is made glossy.

    We could argue over the definitions of media types forever; my
    personal opinion is that the media naming spec has dragged on long
    enough - make it as general as feasible, don't add unnecessary
    restrictions, and then let the protocol folks add the necessary
    hooks to handle N-sided media and different coatings/finishes... :)

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com