IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple re

RE: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple registrations for a singl e print device]

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 19:57:02 EDT

    Hi Michael,

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    You don't mention whether you also do an SLP registration for
    LPR and AppleTalk queues?

    The population of multiple SLP registrations for the same printer
    will cause multiple LDAP Printer objects for the same printer
    automatically by the behavior of SLPv2 DAs that shadow SLP
    registrations to the customer's enterprise directory via LDAP
    (which also causes enterprise distribution and replication of
    Printer objects).

    While this behavior is not required of SLPv2 DAs, it is considered
    (at least by some) to be the best practice default DA behavior (i.e.,
    find an LDAP server via DNS or DHCP or SLP during bootup and then
    automatically begin shadowing service registrations into LDAP).

    Comments?

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald