IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple re

Re: IPP> FW: [Srvloc-discuss] [Multiple registrations for a single print device]

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 20:35:12 EDT

    "McDonald, Ira" wrote:

    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > Thanks for the quick reply.
    >
    > You don't mention whether you also do an SLP registration for
    > LPR and AppleTalk queues?

    Nope, just IPP. CUPS only talks IPP natively, and uses external
    servers for LPD, SMB, and AppleTalk (in the case of LPD, a little
    inetd-based mini-daemon, the rest is SAMBA/CAP/netatalk/etc)

    > The population of multiple SLP registrations for the same printer
    > will cause multiple LDAP Printer objects for the same printer
    > automatically by the behavior of SLPv2 DAs that shadow SLP
    > registrations to the customer's enterprise directory via LDAP
    > (which also causes enterprise distribution and replication of
    > Printer objects).

    This shouldn't be a problem with the current CUPS implementation;
    if we add support for multiple addresses per printer, then those
    registrations will likely only be provided to the appropriate
    subnet, not to the network as a whole (otherwise there could be
    routing issues with the advertised URLs...)

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com