IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> ippget Design Needs Work [use mul

RE: IPP> ippget Design Needs Work [use multi-part/related?]

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 14:44:29 EDT

    Marty and Michael,

    I think we all agree that HTTP chunking cannot convey any semantics for IPP.
    We need to keep the layers separate. We have tried to design the IPP Model
    and Semantics, so that it could be conveyed on other transports besides
    HTTP.

    Your idea of using multi-part/related with each part being an
    application/ipp part. The first part is the initial response with all the
    pending Event Notifications (and doesn't end with the
    'end-of-attributes-tag'). Each subsequent part is one or more additional
    Event Notification Attributes Groups that have occurred as a "bunch" (and
    doesn't end with the 'end-of-attributes-tag'). The last part will contain
    one or more Event Notification Attributes Groups and an
    'end-of-attributes-tag' when there are no more events possible (all
    Subscription objects in the scope of the Get-Notifications are gone or the
    Printer wants to end wait mode and returns the "notify-get-interval"
    attribute in a separate Event Notification Attributes Group).

    Comments?

    Tom