IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> NOT - IPPGET Delivery Method - IS

Re: IPP> NOT - IPPGET Delivery Method - ISSUE 02 'ippget' URI

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 09:41:09 EDT

    "McDonald, Ira" wrote:

    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > Wait - the IETF _will not_ allow 'ippget:' (with nothing following or
    > with nonsense that isn't a protocol target address following) as a
    > URL scheme. It violates all the rules of URLs usage.

    Doesn't the empty string do that, too? :)

    > The idea is that the EMPTY string (not the 'ippget' value) is
    > unambiguous. BECAUSE it's empty there is NOT a protocol target for
    > the IPP Printer object to send notifications to. The IPP client
    > must retrieve the notifications in-band via IPP.

    As long as the IETF will go along, I'm game. I'm just having
    Seinfeld flashbacks (the spec about nothing? :) and am not 100%
    sure that I agree that an empty URI should be enough to indicate
    the notification method being used. It isn't a "clean"
    implementation (IPPGET becomes more of a special case) and precludes
    the implementation of future notification schemes that might need
    similar treatment (like a "broadcast" notification scheme...)

    If the IETF doesn't like just the scheme name, would a pseudo-URI
    like:

        ippget://server/subscription-id

    do the trick? This would identify the subscription and server
    to any potential user agents - that is where the notifications
    will be found (kindof like "check mailto:user@server for the
    notifications") - while at the same time providing a URI syntax
    that the IETF can live with...

    Thoughts?

    (I say "pseudo" URI because the IPP server really won't use it,
     it would only be for the consumption of others...)

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com