IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Re: ISSUE 17: about server-error-too-

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 11:08:32 EDT

    Hastings, Tom N wrote:
    > Michael,
    >
    > Do you have some input on this issue in the Document object spec about what
    > we should say about whether or not the client should try again (later) on
    > the proposed new server-error-too-many-jobs (0x050B):
    >
    > 22. About ISSUE17:
    > 13.1 server-error-too-many-jobs (0x050B)
    > The client has attempted to create a Job using any of the Job Creation
    > operations which would exceed the capacity of the Printer and/or the policy
    > for this user or type of Job. The client SHOULD NOT try again later. DMC
    > ISSUE17: I would have said SHOULD try again later, because resources might
    > have been freed up. That is, I would have read "too many jobs" as a
    > resource issue and "too many documents" as a policy issue. If we're saying
    > not to try again, we should be clear that this error should only be returned
    > if the problem is not expected to go away.
    >
    > Good ISSUE! It would be good to get Michael Sweet's input on this, since he
    > requested these error codes.

    I think that the status codes for both too-many-jobs and
    too-many-documents should be worded such that a client MAY try again
    later, not SHOULD or SHOULD NOT. If we want to differentiate hard
    and soft errors, I would recommend using server-error-not-possible
    to specify that it is not possible to create a new job or document
    (i.e. not-possible means don't retry, too-many-foos means you MAY
    retry...)