IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Printing through a firewall

IPP> Printing through a firewall

From: Ara Roselani (ara@americanlegalcopy.com)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 16:15:22 EST

    I'm brand new to IPP and I have a client that wants to print directly to our
    copy shop's printer. I'm attempting to set this up without breaching
    security. I'm aware that I can use VPN tunneling (IPSEC), but I'm exploring
    other options.

    We have a Linux Firewall running on Redhat. Our internal network is running
    a 192.168.4.0 scheme that goes through the firewall to the router.

    I have a small Hawking 10/100 Parallel Print Server hooked up to my printer,
    which allows IPP printing. It's assigned to 192.168.4.100. I can print
    just fine internally. I'm at the point where I need to assign firewall
    rules to let this through.

    Do I need to forward port 631 to the firewall's external interface through
    NAT to allow IPP to go through? Ideally, I'd like to be able to print to
    the Firewall's external IP. Is this secure? Is there a better
    configuration?

    Thanks.

    ---
    Ara Roselani