IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Printing through a firewall [caut

RE: IPP> Printing through a firewall [caution]

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 17:12:27 EST

    Hi,

    [Disclaimer - the following is personal opinion - you should
    consider taking some advice from your organization's network
    security professionals or consultants]

    Yes, port 631 (and ONLY that port) must be open on external
    firewall (for inbound HTTP over TCP connections) for IPP
    to work.

    Personally, I would NOT let any external customer print
    through my firewall via IPP, unless I had enabled the
    TLS/1.0 option (which may or may not be supported in
    your Hawking Parallel Print Server) and was using both
    Server authentication (certificate-based SSL just like
    a Web server) AND also Client authentication (cert-based
    SSL authentication for your external client).

    Otherwise, I think you're going to see quite significant
    denial of service attacks against port 631 on the external
    side of your firewall.

    Here's a link to Hawking Technology's Print Server family:

      http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodList.php?FamID=42

    And here's the link to the Datasheet for their HPS1P product:

      http://209.61.202.44/images/datasheet/HPS1P-Datasheet_LR.pdf

    That datasheet describes their IPP support (briefly) but does
    not mention SSL/TLS support in the implementation (not very
    surprising, because cert-based authentication is not trivial).

    I hope this all helps some.

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
    phone: +1-906-494-2434