Re: IPP> Posted draft IPP Printer State Reasons Extensions (17 July 2006)

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 18:30:10 EDT

    McDonald, Ira wrote:
    > Hi folks, Monday (17 July 2006)
    >
    > I've just posted the first draft of the PWG IPP Printer State Reasons
    > Extensions specification on the PWG FTP server at:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippstate10-20060717.htm
    >
    > This draft is technically complete (to the best of my ability) except
    > for the summary conformance sections (individual sections already have
    > detailed conformance requirements).

    > and discussion at an IPP WG Telecon as soon as possible.

    WRT section 5.1.1, CUPS implements the severity suffixes as required
    by RFC 2911. I don't think we can just do away with them, but
    defining a mapping from keyword-suffix to keyword would have the
    equivalent effect without requiring an update of RFC 2911... Also,
    I know I get "media-tray-empty-error" and other messages from HP
    printers via IPP, so we're not the only company implementing it...

    Also, overloading printer-state-message with non-localized alert
    object data is, IMHO, the wrong approach. Define a printer-alert
    1setOf collection that contains all of the prtAlert* objects. CUPS
    uses printer-state-message to hold the human-readable state message
    (as defined by RFC 2911), and it would be impossible for CUPS to
    conform to this spec if you use printer-state-message for this
    purpose.