RE: IPP> Posted draft IPP Printer State Reasons Extensions (17 Ju ly 2006)

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 12:15:33 EDT

    Hi Michael,

    What I've written up, using keyword/value pairs
    in "printer-state-message", was explicitly approved
    in the charter for this work by the PWG Steering
    Committee.

    My collaborators at Sharp need a solution that
    does NOT rely on the 'collection' datatype (which
    is not supported in their IPP implementations nor
    planned for future support).

    When the IPP PSX charter was sent out for review,
    we requested feedback on the approaches - you've
    made a reasonable case for leaving the severity
    suffixes alone (some HP printers and CUPS have
    implemented them) - unfortunately, none of the
    PWG Steering Committee members were aware of those
    implementations before - so this is good feedback.

    We'll see what further review on the mailing list
    yields, but a 'collection' approach is not going
    to be acceptable to Sharp (who are funding my
    work on this project), so other approaches (e.g.,
    a keyword/value encoding in a new simple text
    attribute) should also be considered.

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
    phone: +1-906-494-2434