From: Ira McDonald (blueroofmusic@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 16:12:51 EDT

    Hi,

    Corrected subject line - this spreadsheet addresses ONLY operations and does
    not (thanks goodness) address optional attributes.

    The CUPS and Novell iPrint implementation lists are good sources for justifying
    the requirement for optional operations (I've recently been thinking about this
    topic for Samsung).

    Printer vendors - please look at your own implementations and think about
    your votes carefully.

    Raising ANY optional operations to required for IPPv2 profiles (especially
    the lowest IPP/2.0 level for basic workgroup printers) would be unwise.
    For example, although Pause-Printer and Resume-Printer are very widely
    implemented, they are NOT universally implemented.

    I suggest that the votes in this spreadsheet should be not just A/B/C but
    A-2.1, etc. That is, the level at which an optional operation becomes
    required.

    I also suggest that we don't make ANY originally optional operation
    required for the lowest IPP/2.0 level - otherwise, the standard will
    probably be voted down.

    On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:25 PM, <Ron.Bergman@ricoh-usa.com> wrote:

    > I have added the proposed spreadsheet for the IPP Optional Attributes at:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/ippv2-docs/IPP-OPTIONAL-OPS-PRIORITY.doc
    >
    > Everyone is encouraged to provide an input as to the recommended priority
    > for each, currrently optional attrribute, to be mandatory for IPPv2.
    > Return your recommendation directly to me and I will add the data to the
    > spreadsheet. This will be a topic of discussion at the PWG meeting next
    > week.
    >
    > Priority codes are:
    > A = Essential
    > B = Useful, but not critical