RE: MFD> [scanner term] Meeting Minutes for June 14 Teleconference posted

From: nchen@okidata.com
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 11:56:11 EDT

    Hi Ira,

    "Scan Subunit" sounds good to me. I'll put this into tomorrow's
    teleconference agenda to ask the group's concensus.

    Thanks,
    -Nancy

    "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
    Sent by: owner-mfd@pwg.org
    06/20/2007 11:39 AM

    <nchen@okidata.com>
    cc
    <mfd@pwg.org>, <owner-mfd@pwg.org>
    Subject
    RE: MFD> [scanner term] Meeting Minutes for June 14 Teleconference posted

    Hi Nancy,

    Thanks - I tend to agree.

    So here's a suggestion with a rationale. I propose the
    new term 'Scan Subunit', by analogy to 'Scan Service'
    and 'Scan Device' (aka Scanner).

    This causes least breakage in WIMS/1.0 and SM/2.0 schemas.
    Where we enumerated service and device types as above (i.e.,
    the function term with a 'service' or 'device' suffix) and
    named our classes (and schemas) accordingly. The only
    affected existing schema would be 'Subunits.xsd'.

    It's important to note that we agreed several years ago
    in WIMS protocol and Counter spec work that we would NOT
    use the term 'Printer' (too ambiguous, due to IPP usage
    to mean a 'Logical Printer'), but rather 'Print Device'.

    So we should NOT use (in the formal MFD model) the term
    'Scanner' to mean 'Scan Device'. We should instead avoid
    the use of the ambiguous term 'Scanner' entirely.

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
    phone: +1-906-494-2434