Re: MFD> section 3.3.1.4 proposed change

From: nchen@okidata.com
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 13:41:39 EDT

    Hi Glen,

    Thanks for the update.

    > Is this the use case where the user simply
    goes up to the scanner subunit, put their document in the scan and presses
    the start button? In other words is this supposed to be the simplest
    use-case and the Local Scan Client performs the default action of creating
    user scan job template/ticket.

    NC>> As far as I remeber when we discussed in April meeting and later
    teleconferences, there are two possibilites:
    (1) The MFD does not have a UI at all - in this case, there is no way for
    user to walk up and enter 'job ticket identifier', The system default
    template is used.
    (2) The MFD has a UI for user to enter 'job ticket identifier' which may
    be used to identify the user's default template.

    Therefore I think (1) should be considered as the "basic" case, and (2)
    should be optional for vendors that provide a UI. Let's decide as a group
    in today's teleconference.

    Thanks,
    -Nancy
    Nancy Chen
    Principal Engineer
    Solutions and Technology
    Oki Data
    2000 Bishops Gate Blvd.
    Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
    Phone: (856) 222-7006
    email: nchen@okidata.com

    "Petrie, Glen" <glen.petrie@eitc.epson.com>
    Sent by: owner-mfd@pwg.org
    09/06/2007 12:19 PM

    mfd@pwg.org
    cc

    Subject
    MFD> section 3.3.1.4 proposed change

    Action Item --

    6. The flow steps for the "Walk-up Scan and Store Document" use case
    will need to be updated according to the clarification between MFD/local
    UI,
    scan client, and scan service discussed above
    [see:pwg-mfd-minutes-20070830.doc]. Glen will update the flow steps.

    Glen's Comment ---

    I'm still a little confused. Is this the use case where the user simply
    goes up to the scanner subunit, put their document in the scan and presses
    the start button? In other words is this supposed to be the simplest
    use-case and the Local Scan Client performs the default action of creating
    user scan job template/ticket. If so, then any reference to "job ticket
    identification" or "job ticket identifier" should be dropped from my
    proposed change.

    Original -------------------

    Section 3.3.1.4

    Walk-up Scan and Store Document -
    A user walks up to a MFD, places his/her original paper on the platen,
    enters his scan job ticket identification and then pushes the start
    button.
    The default job template is copied into a transient scan job template. The
    scan job template which was pre-created by an administrator (could be for
    security reason) may then optionally be used to modify the transient job
    template which may be a copy of a default job template. When the user
    pushes
    the scan button, a scan job is created and bound to the scan job ticket,
    and
    the document on the platen or ADF is physically scanned. When scan
    document
    is complete, it is sent to a specified document repository (in MFD or a
    remote system).

    Processing Flow Step Requirements
    The following flow steps have been identified as requirements for this
    usage
    scenario.

    Step 1. User puts document on scanner.
    Step 2. User MAY get a list of templates from scan service UI and select a
    template. Scan service MAY modifies the
    copy of template it has created from the defaults.
    Step 3. User pushes green button. A scan job is created. The template is
    copied into job ticket, and the scan ticket is bound to the job. At this
    point, the scan job is implicitly scheduled.
    Step 4. The physical document is scanned and
    associated with the document object. One or more document data files
    are output from the single document
    object associated with the scan job.
    Issue - How should single document data file or multiple document data
    files
    output from the single document object be indicated in scan job ticket? We
    need an emlement in scan job ticket to indicate 'single' or 'multiple'
    document output mode for the scan job. (NC) -> Resolution: See additional
    design requirements in Section 3.3.1.3.2
    Step 5. Document data is stored internally or in a remote
    repository. The document storage location shall be
    globally addressable by the scan service within an enterprise network.
    Step 6. An EndOfJob event is sent to the user. The job status can
    also be queried via the GetScanJobElements
    request to determine scan job completion status. There shall be a scan
    service counter in the job status element that can be used to
    determine the scan job progress before completion..

    Proposed Change -------------------------

    Original -------------------

    Section 3.3.1.4

    3.3.1.4 Walk-up Scan and Store Document -
    A user walks up to a MFD, places his/her original paper on the platen,
    enters his scan job ticket identification and then pushes the start
    button.

    3.3.1.4.1 Processing Flow Step Requirements
    The following flow steps have been identified as requirements for this
    usage
    scenario.

    Step 1. User places hardcopy document on platen or ADF (automatic document
    feeder).
    Step 2: Using the Local Scan Client, the user enters their scan job ticket
    identifier.
    Step 3: The user presses the start button
    Step 4: The Local Scan Client copies the default scan job template into a
    user's scan job template.
    Step 5: The Local Scan Client sends the user's scan job template to the
    Local Scan Service
    Step 6: The Local Scan Service instantiates the scan template to a scan
    job
    ticket.
    Step 7: The Local Scan Service instantiates a scan job and bound the job
    the previously created scan job ticket, then schedules the user scan job.
    Step 8: The Local Scan Service executes the user's scan job.
    Step 9: The Local Scan Service stores the digital document at the specific
    storage location.
    Step10: The Local Scan Service notifies the MFD Scan Client that the scan
    job is complete.
    Step11: The Local Scan Client notifies the user the scan job is complete
    based on the information in the scan job ticket.

    Rgds,
    Glen W. Petrie
    Epson Imaging Technology Center
    2580 Orchard Parkway, Suite 200