RE: MFD> MFD Scan Service specification - ACTION REQUIRED

From: Petrie, Glen (glen.petrie@eitc.epson.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2008 - 13:06:27 EST

    Peter,

    I started reading the Scan Service Specification, but out of time today.
    The following are my comments up to page 10. I am not sure this is the
    level of feedback you were expecting.

    Glen

    My comments

    Page 8, Line 250

    -- change "sope" to "scope"

    Page 10, Line 265

    -- Active Jobs

        - what is the significances of the phrase "instance specific". Can
    the phrase be removed?

          It is used in other definitions.

    -- ADF

        - In OpenPrinting work, specifically the job-ticketing API, the term
    "tray" referred to input

          and the term "bin" referred to output. Thus, my comments are.

    - Line 3, change "from its bin" to "from its input tray"

    - Line 6, change "ADF bin" to "ADF output bin"

    -- Attribute

        - I find the definition of a generic word like "Attribute" to be a
    little strange.

        - From the web I found this

    "is an entity that defines a property of an object, element, or file. An
    attribute usually consists

    of a name and a value. Its definition can be extended by a datatype, a
    representation format,

    a default value and restrictions."

    -- CrossFeed direction

        - Should there be a space in "CrossFeed", i.e. "Cross Feed"

        - Should "direction" be capitalized? If it is there for
    clarification should it be in brackets,

          i.e. "CrossFeed (direction)", since direction is not part of the
    term being define but is only

          being used for clarification

        - Line 4, I suggest changing "(See also Fast Scan direction, X and

          "(See diagram in $7.14)"

        - Line 5, The line should be "The Cross Feed direction is also
    referred to as the X, X-Feed or

                     Fast Scan direction. I would also move this before
    the bracketed comment in Line 4.

    -- DefaultScanJobTicket

        -- Are we defining the term "Default Scan Job Ticket" or the
    variable "DefaultScanJobTicket".

           I would have assumed it was the term and not the variable. This
    comment apply to other

           "terms" in the definition table.

        -- Line 1, the phase "an instance of" implies that the Scan Service
    is instantiated for each job.

           1.) I don't think this is the intent of the meaning and 2.) it
    implies an how to implement, which

           we should not address.

        -- Line 2-5, should the term "values" be elaborated to "Attribute
    values" (or "attribute values")?

    -- Destination

        -- Line 1, The sentence is not a complete sentence, is the phrase
    "end point" necessary and

           is it "URI" or "URL"?

          I suggest "A Destination is a network address (i.e. URL) of a
    storage ......"

        -- If the Destination is internal storage, is that really specified
    by a "network address"?

    -- Digital Document

       -- Line 1, The sentence is not a complete sentence and "scan service"
    should be "Scan Service".

          I suggest "A Digital Document is the output of a Scan Service
    containing the digitized data

                         resulting from the scanning of a Hardcopy
    Document(s)."

    All/Most of the remaining definition do not have a complete first
    sentence. If the intent is that the

    word being defined is to be part of the first sentence, then the first
    word in the "definition" should

    not be capitalized; otherwise, the noun (the term being defined) needs
    to be put into the first .

    I.e. "Digital Document is the output" or "Directory Service is
    a"

    -- Directory Service

        -- This definition is states or implies a lot of implementation
    specifies; i.e. organizes, administrator

           manages, ..... Will the MFD working group create a Directory
    Service Specification; if not, then

           we need to use a common definition

        -- Definitions I found on the web:

              -- A data source according to ITU specification X.500 that
    holds data organized in a tree structure

              -- A software service that integrates with a user/group
    directory

              -- A service that provides a white pages-like directory of the
    users and resources located on an

                 enterprise network

              -- A directory service is simply the software system
    [application] that stores, organizes and

                 provides access to information in a directory.

        ----- I like the last definition

    -- Fast Scan direction

        - Is there a space between "Fast Scan" or is it "FastScan". If
    there is a space should

          "CrossFeed" be "Cross Feed"

        - Should "direction" be capitalized? If it is there for
    clarification should it be in brackets,

          i.e. "Fast Scan (direction)", since direction is not part of the
    term being define but is only

          being used for clarification

        - Line 4, I suggest making the end of the definition match closer
    to "Cross Feed"

          i.e. This is the direction along which the image data is most
    quickly acquired. If the light

                bar or media moves, this direction is at a right angle to
    that movement. The Fast Scan

                direction is also referred to as the X, X-Feed or Cross Feed
    direction. (See diagram $7.14)

    -- Feed direction

        - Should "direction" be capitalized? If it is there for
    clarification should it be in brackets,

          i.e. "Feed (direction)", since direction is not part of the term
    being define but is only

          being used for clarification

        - Line 4, I suggest making the end of the definition match closer
    to "Cross Feed"

          i.e. The Feed direction is also referred to as the Y, Y-Feed or
    Slow Scan direction.

                (See diagram $7.14)