RE: MFD> Scan Service Sectionr 10

From: William A Wagner (wamwagner@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 22:24:08 EST

    Ira, Pete and the MFD group,

    I very much wanted to get out a first cut Overall MFD document prior to the
    face-to-face. It has been a very useful exercise for me, and I think my
    understanding of what was intended is improving, although there are still
    some dark spots. Note that it was my intent to provide a general context for
    the Service models and, in doing so, to clarify a few areas. It was not my
    intent to modify or embellish the model as manifest by the Scan Spec and the
    schema.

    In continuing to work on the "overall" document (rigorous or not), and
    assenting to Ira's idea of a MFD entity other than a service that starts a
    service, is not this entity identified as the "Server", since the Scan Spec
    says "the multifunction device is represented as the Server element in the
    PWG Semantic Model Schema"?

    Further, if I understand Ira's suggestion on the startup sequence, it goes:
            a. A client sends a StartupService to a System (perhaps implicitly
    by powering up the MFD)
            b. The System internally creates a scan service in an offline
    phase/unknown state
            c. The Service, internally and on its own accord transitions to an
    offline phase/down state (but is unable to respond to state requests since
    it of off-line...Perhaps the System can respond to a state request? Does the
    System respond to the StartupService now, perhaps saying that state is
    down?)
            c. The System internally sends a StartupScanService to the Service,
    which causes the Service to move to Online/Idle) Is this the point that the
    System responds to the StartupService request, or is it dependent on how
    long it takes the service get to an on-line state?

    I would be interested in the sense of the working group in what we are
    attempting to show with the model. If my tendency to "black box"
    characterization is correct, that is, we do not get into internal
    implementation aspects beyond what is necessary to characterize behavior,
    then the items of interest are just StartupService and the response to
    StartupService. The rest is implementation dependent.

    Regardless, it would seem that the StartupService [type=XService] is a
    System (or Server) input request since the Service is non-existent at this
    point. StartupXService would seem to be a System (or Server) output request
    sent internally since the Service is in an off-line phase.

    Clarification on what how the group would like to deal with these interfaces
    would be helpful.

    Thanks,

    Bill Wagner