P1394 Mail Archive: P1394> SBP-2 Targets

P1394> SBP-2 Targets

From: RICE,CHUCK (HP-Vancouver,ex1) (chuck_rice@hp.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 13:33:15 EDT

    Hi All,

    Recently I have been involved in some discussions about what constitutes an
    SBP-2 Target; these discussions have pointed out some areas of the SBP-2
    spec that are kind of fuzzy. I'm posting this question to get an idea of
    how this issue is viewed by the rest of the industry.

    3.1.2.25 target: A node that receives device service or management requests
    from an initiator....

    This has been interpreted to mean that there is only one SBP-2 target per
    node.

    4.1 Unit Architecture
    In CSR architecture and Serial Bus terminology, targets implemented to this
    standard are units. A Serial Bus node that implements a target has a unit
    directory in configuration ROM that identifies the presence and capabilities
    of the target.

    This implies that each SBP-2 unit directory is a separate target.

    The case not covered by the SBP-2 specification is the one where there are
    multiple instance directories each containing an SBP-2 unit directory. Is
    this one target or multiple targets? I have been assuming that this
    represents multiple targets; are my assumptions correct?

    Thanks
    Chuck

    Chuck Rice
    Software Engineer