PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> New Printer MIB draft

Re: PMP> New Printer MIB draft

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 08:18:51 PDT

Reply To: PMP> New Printer MIB draft

Hi Lloyd and PMP folks, Thursday (26 June 1997)

I pulled down this draft and reviewed the edits for localization. They
all look fine to me. I'll leave it to Matt King, Angelo Caruso, and
others to comment on the various changes they suggested.

Two other comments:

1) OBJECT clauses for all string objects in MODULE-COMPLIANCE macro
(important, but simple to fix)

Several Xerox desktop systems implementors recently queried the minimum
legal SIZE of the string objects in the Printer MIB. Angelo Caruso
and I replied that, since there are NOT refined SYNTAX sub-clauses (just
MIN-ACCESS of 'read-only') in the OBJECT clauses, all conforming
implementations (of RFC 1759 or the new Printer MIB v2 draft, as
currently written) would have to support the MAXIMUM size indicated in
the SYNTAX clause of the relevant OBJECT-TYPE macros. An example of an
OBJECT clause in a MODULE-COMPLIANCE macro which corrects this (presumed
to be accidental) defect follows:

OBJECT prtGeneralCurrentOperator
SYNTAX PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC (SIZE (0..32))
MIN-ACCESS read-only
DESCRIPTION
"It is conformant to implement this object as read-only, and
only 32 octets maximum string length need be supported."

Of course, reasonable minimum string lengths would vary for the specific
string objects, but the principle remains the same (beware the needs of
two-octet code sets in other localizations).

2) Page 37 - DESCRIPTION clause of 'PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC'
(minor typo)

Left-single-quote ("`") before 'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' - probably
my accidental doing when sending proposed text - in any case, usually
left-single-quotes are not used in textual clauses in MIBs - I did a
search and this is the only occurrence of a left-single-quote in this
draft.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
High North Inc
PO Box 221
Grand Marais, MI 49839
906-494-2434

>---------------------------- Lloyd's note ----------------------------<
>To: pmp@pwg.org
>From: Lloyd Young
>Date: 06/25/97 03:25:47 PM
>Subject: New Printer MIB draft
>
>The "Final" Printer MIB draft has been uploaded to the PWG FTP
>server: ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/drafts/pmib_062597.txt
>
>The proposed schedule for submitting this as our final Internet
>Draft is:
>
> Comments from Printer MIB working group members by 7/3
> Draft submitted to IETF 7/7
>
>I recognize this is a tight schedule but we are running a few
>weeks behind our original proposed schedule and I do not want
>to lose any more time than is absolutely necessary.
>
>This draft has been run through various MIB compilers and
>compiles cleanly.
>
>I have included the list of proposed changes to be made in this
>draft. The action that was taken on each proposed change is
>highlighted by **.
...snip

>4. Ira McDonald's proposal on localization.
>** Changes have been made.

...snip