PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP>URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTET STRING

Re: PMP>URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTET STRING

Ron Bergman (rbergma@dpc.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:26:53 -0700 (PDT)

Lloyd has provided an excellent description of the "real" problem
and our choices on this subject. We either accept the Printer MIB
as is or delay its completion and develop a proper fix for the problem.

I have seen at least three complex proposals presented in the last
several days. I have also observed several well constructed objections
to the proposals. This is a clear sign that the solution is not
ready for incorporation into the MIB.

If it is agreed that this is a problem that must be corrected in this
version, we must take the time to develop a proper solution. We must
not rush to create a solution that may be regretted later.

My preference at this time is to incorporate a solution to the
localization problem in the next version of the document.

Ron Bergman
Dataproducts Corp.