PMP Mail Archive: Re[2]: PMP> Localization conclusion - prtGeneralPrinterName

Re[2]: PMP> Localization conclusion - prtGeneralPrinterName

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:00:55 -0400

Tom,

I assume you mean from Display String to OCTET STRING.

I also took Lloyd's request to just apply to the specific question of
prtGeneralPrinterName, seeking perhaps to get agreement on some
peripheral items first. I agree with you Tom that the MIB is broken
(chipped) here and it should be addressed.

The Lexmark response suggests that UTF8 will not break their
implementation. I suspect that the same is true for HP???

Therefore, it would appear that David's suggestion may both bring the
MIB in line with existing implementation while accommodating
internationalization needs (although perhaps not in as flexible a way
as some may desire). It appears to do this with minimum impact on the
MIB.

Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI