PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Localization conclusion - prtGeneralPrinterName

Re: PMP> Localization conclusion - prtGeneralPrinterName

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:14:58 PDT

At 11:15 07/24/97 PDT, JK Martin wrote:
>Tom,
>
>Excellent summation of our current alternatives. I also agree with
>you that we should take the time to resolve this in a fully informed
>manner, and not just sweep it under the carpet.

Great we agree here!

>One question, though. In alternatives #2-#5, you don't explicitly
>denote how one handles byte values in the 0-31 value range. Care
>to add some comments about that? That way we'd have a fully specified
>value range to consider. (This may be a silly question, but as you
>note, silly questions are allowed... ;-)

I agree we need to include the specification of 0-31 (and 127).

My SYNTHESIS proposal specifies that no codes in 0-31 and 127 SHALL be
used, unless the DESCRIPTION clause specifies that such codes can be used.
Only the prtGeneralCurrentOperator, prtGeneralSystemOperator, and
David's updated prtChannelInformation objects specify that any code
in 0-31 and 127 can be used. They specify that LF (decimal 10) can be used.
So for all other OCTET STRING objects, nothing in 0-31 and 127 SHALL be
used.