PMP Mail Archive: PMP> Handling the request for an Interpreter enum for TIFF-F

PMP> Handling the request for an Interpreter enum for TIFF-F

JK Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:59:51 -0400 (EDT)

Regarding the issue of assigning a new Interpreter enum to
TIFF-F, as requested by Al Brahme:

> > Earlier i tried to get TIFF-F (for fax) included in the printer
> > mib but did not get much support.
> >
> > /al
>
> I don't recall the TIFF-F request, but, if someone has a PDL to
> register as a type-2 enum with the Printer MIB, it should require
> very little effort and should not meet with a great deal of
> resistance.

The reason Al's request was not processed as quickly as all other
similar requests for Interpreter enums was due to the concern that
TIFF-F was not yet formally resolved as a target standard. (The last
message on this thread is attached for review.)

I don't know whether this is an accurate assessment of the situation
with TIFF-F (please, no flames), but that's why no action has been
taken on Al's request.

If Al believes he should have an Interpreter enum assigned for TIFF-F,
then he should (again) fire up a thread asking same...except it should
probably be done on the PMP list, and not the IPP list.

Just a thought, though: if TIFF-F is shipping in *real* products,
then regardless of the TIFF-F vs. TIFF-FX issue, it should probably
have an enum assigned. Any disagreement in this approach? If not,
then let's assign the enum and retain our sparkling "rapid response"
image in the standards community... ;-)

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --