PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Status of Printer MIB

Re: PMP> Status of Printer MIB

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:40:58 -0400

Ron,

I concur with your remorse. I wish it could be different.

However, if the network printer and printing systems industries
collectively implement products around the same specification,
then the effort will succeed...whether or not the specification
is formally blessed "standard" or not.

De facto standards work very well, too. (Sometimes even better.)

It would be worth the effort to consider the case of DMI. That
effort was never folded into the IETF domain (right??), yet it
garnered considerable backing from a large industry. And, despite
its slow growth out of the starting gate, does not appear to be
going away.

If the printer industry agrees upon a standard--and works together
to ship products against that standard--then it's a "standard".
A rose by any other name, etc...

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --