PMP Mail Archive: PMP> Re: FIN> Finisher MIB, Where do we go from here?

PMP Mail Archive: PMP> Re: FIN> Finisher MIB, Where do we go from here?

PMP> Re: FIN> Finisher MIB, Where do we go from here?

Ron Bergman (
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 14:06:56 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)


Assuming that there is a strong consensus for option 2, what is your
estimated time table for submission of the documents to the IESG?

One big advantage of option #2: The Finisher MIB can be at a different
standards level than the Printer MIB and any problems in the Finisher MIB
should not hold up the Printer MIB. (i.e. even though they are submitted
together, they do not necessarily have to be published together. But it
would sure be nice if they were.:)

Ron Bergman
Dataproducts Corp.

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 wrote:

> Chris and I discussed this with regards to what would be the
> best thing for the Printer MIB. Because we are finally getting
> some attention from our IETF Area Directors on the HR MIB and
> the Printer MIB, we feel that interjecting option 3 into the mix
> is not the appropriate thing to do. It would only slow down the
> progress that has been made to date. I know that it has been
> invisible progress to most of you but there has been progress
> none the less. With the assumption that option 2 means the Printer
> MIB and the Finisher MIB would have two RFC numbers, the advantage
> of option 2 over option 1 is that the Finisher MIB would have
> a RFC number faster. Option 2 appears to be the best choice.
> Lloyd
> ------ Ron's original message -------
> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:44:22 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
> From: Ron Bergman <>
> To:,
> Cc: Lloyd Young <>, Chris Wellens <>
> Subject: FIN> Finisher MIB, Where do we go from here?
> Message-Id: <>
> X-X-Sender:
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> Sender:
> Status: R
> I am going to submit the latest finisher MIB to Internet-Drafts tomorrow.
> This is the version posted last week with the changes to fix the
> compilation problems reported by Ira, with the addition of the change to
> finSupplyCurrentLevel requested by Paul Henerlau.
> Now, where do we go from here? Since the Finisher MIB is an extension of
> the Printer MIB and the current draft is dependent upon the updated
> Printer MIB, our options for the current draft are somewhat limited. I
> can think of four possibilities;
> 1. Wait until the Printer MIB is assigned an RFC number and then submit
> the Finisher MIB.
> 2. Submit both the Printer MIB and the Finisher MIB to the IESG as a
> set.
> 3. Integrate the Finisher MIB into the Printer MIB and submit the
> combined MIB to the IESG.
> 4. The only other alternative is to remove the dependencies upon the
> Printer MIB Textual Conventions, and submit immediately.
> I don't believe that number 4 is in our long term best interests. 2 and 3
> are the only reasonable alternatives.
> Comments?
> Ron Bergman
> Dataproducts Corp.
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> Lloyd Young Lexmark International, Inc.
> Senior Program Manager Dept. C08L/Bldg. 035-3
> Strategic Alliances 740 New Circle Road NW
> internet: Lexington, KY 40550
> Phone: (606) 232-5150 Fax: (606) 232-6740