PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> General Questions

RE: PMP> General Questions

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 15:23:48 EST

    Hi Bruno,

    There are standard MIBs defined to do (most of) what you want.

    But most printers do _not_ implement the Job Monitoring MIB
    (RFC 2707), so you can't reliably monitor network printer jobs
    with SNMP (without using vendor private MIBs).

    Most printers _do_ implement Printer MIB (RFC 1759/3805).
    But most printers only support registration by a monitoring
    client for SNMP traps (toner low, etc.) using vendor private
    MIBs or local system consoles.

    If you're willing to poll a single object (prtAlertAllEvents)
    in newer printers that support Printer MIB v2 (RFC 3805), then
    you can check the prtAlertTable for the new alerts efficiently.
    Many (but not most) network printers now implement RFC 3805.

    Cheers,
    - Ira (co-editor or Printer MIB v2)

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839