SDP Mail Archive: SDP> RE: IPP> Charter eyeglasses

SDP> RE: IPP> Charter eyeglasses

Zehler, Peter (Peter.Zehler@usa.xerox.com)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:48:48 PDT

All,
I also believe it would be a mistake to create yet another protocol =
for
printing. Some issues have been identified as shortcomings in the =
current
IPP mapping. Those issues should be addressed. There are, of course, =
number of ways to address them. We also have need of a richer printer =
model
as we move IPP forward to monitor and control a print device. We =
already
have a widely deployed model, the printer MIB.
I do not believe IPP is unreasonable to embed in a device. We =
should
keep the mandatory features focused on basic needs. This approach =
allows
the model and protocol to scale. As of yet I have no trouble =
implementing
IPP in a lower end device.
Pete
Peter Zehler