UPD Mail Archive: Re: UPD> PDL per UPDF

Re: UPD> PDL per UPDF

From: Mark VanderWiele (markv@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 20:51:05 EST

    >At 3/26/01 12:17 PM, Norbert Schade wrote:
    >We never finally decided whether we will allow exactly one PDL per UPDF
    description or more.

    Yes, I am listening and I vote 1 PDL per updf.

    Reason: Varying capabilities between PDL personalities such as fonts,
    resolutions, printable area, ... would cause too much confusion.

    Additional comments: Having a separate command file will give some
    flexibility.

    Additional concerns: Some previsions must be made for PDLs which contain
    multiple modes or commands to do the same thing. For example, PCL5 (a
    single PDL has an HPGL/2 mode). Or are you saying PCL5 not using HPGL/2 is
    one PDL and PCL5 in HPGL/2 MODE is another.

    Regards,
    Mark VanderWiele
    IBM, Linux Technology Center
    512-838-4779, t/l 678-4779