UPD Mail Archive: UPD> locales

UPD> locales

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 10:39:20 EDT

    We got a number of good comments on it.
    While Jim Lo proved to us that the list may grow quickly to an infinite list of entries, where some people may discuss, which combination is subjective, I think we want to support the proper syntax to be as flexible as possible.
    Another valid input was Mark's request to split it into two components supported separately. We'll do that. Jim and I are working it out right now.
    I'd like us to stay out of the business of defining rules for fallbacks. While two different platforms may very well provide quite a different list of locales, the fallback requirements might be different as well. While one may say that Spanish in Paraguay may fall back to Spanish in Spain first before it falls back to English in US, others may prefer more simplified routines (I'm on the step-by-step side).
    You will see our latest modifications soon.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade
    Principle Software Engineer
    Host Software Group