UPD Mail Archive: RE: UPD> Ledger vs Tabloid

RE: UPD> Ledger vs Tabloid

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 16:20:08 EDT

    Mark,

    I'm guessing that Ledger is a landscape oriented medium, since a ledger is
    typically viewed landscape, while a tabloid (newspaper) is viewed portrait.

    I've also seen the conventions on boxes of paper in which the difference
    between 11x17 and 17x11 is significant: when it has fanfold tear off tractor
    feed holes. The 17x11 is landscape paper, with the fanfold separations
    being along the long (17 inch side).

    Note: in our PWG Media Size standard, we are NOT making a distinction
    between portrait and landscape media sizes, but are depending on something
    else to include the orientation when it is significant.

    Tom