UPD Mail Archive: RE: UPD> changes in latest version from to

RE: UPD> changes in latest version from today

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 17:07:58 EDT

    Norbert,

    It took me quite a while to find out what you meant by "The UPDF version I
    put to the web today"? So I'm writing this note.

    First I went to the PWG web page:

    http://www.pwg.org/ <http://www.pwg.org/>

    which sent me to:

    http://www.pwg.org/updf/index.html <http://www.pwg.org/updf/index.html>

    The Documents link goes to version 0.51, which is two years old.

    Then I tried the Related Links URLs and did find the DTDs and Sample XML
    files. Perhaps, they could be given more prominence on the web page or
    renamed from "Related Links" to Current DTDs and Sample XML files", since
    they are the focus of the work, as I understand it.

    However, I'm still unable to bring up the XML files using Outlook. I get:

    The XML page cannot be displayed

    Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then
    click the Refresh <javascript:location.reload()> button, or try again
    later.

      _____

    Access is denied.

    Then I looked at ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/
    <ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/>

    and saw no files in that directory, but did find three folders:

    Archive
    Current_Version
    minutes

    Under Current_Version I found two folders:

    DTD
    XML_Samples

    by the dates on those files, I suspect that they are the ones that you also
    attached below.

    However, sending out such a long list of attachments is a problem for at
    least two reasons:
    a. its a lot of data for the poor traveling folks who pick up email over
    hotel phone lines
    b. its a pain for those of us with fast connections to extract each of 15
    files from our mail agents (I use Outlook).

    A more user friendly approach would be to simply send out the two urls:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/Current_Version/DTD/
    <ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/Current_Version/DTD/>
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org
    <ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/Current_Version/XML_Samples/>
    /pub/pwg/upd/Current_Version/XML_Samples/

    Also if you could also put them into a single .zip file in the parent
    directory with a date in the file name, say:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/Current_Version/
    <ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/Current_Version/current-version-010531.zip>
    current-version-010531.zip

    and also send that URL. Then all of the files could be picked up in a
    single trip. Also XML files compress by large factors with ZIP and its easy
    to extract one or a bunch of files from the ZIP archive.

    What do others think?

    Thanks,
    Tom