UPD Mail Archive: UPD> merged ID list names, documentation s

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 10:18:54 EDT

    One technical issue
    Like in media types we have one MediaType_Global_ID and a Media_Proprietary_ID in various features - or similar attribute names.
    We have these two attributes because of the lack of editable combo boxes, where we could enter both kinds of ID in one attribute. Unless some XML expert comes up with a solution, I don't see another chance to provide UPDF keywords for the combined merged list like MediaType_Global_Or_Proprietary_ID, which would be used for interdependencies and in other places, where we cannot specify the two attributes separately.
    Your opinion?

    One documentation issue
    Many features have a similar structure.
    We could make each section explaining one feature or even one attribute completely self-explaining, but would repeat the same information over and over. Just think how often Media_ID would be explained.
    If we rather assume that somebody reads the full spec at least once and then knows about the key features, we could explain the Media_ID once only at first appearance and just reference to that element later in the doc. Would certainly decrease the size of the specification documentation significantly without loosing information.
    Your opinion?

    Regards
    Norbert Schade
    Principle Software Engineer