UPD Mail Archive: UPD> keeping up appearances

UPD> keeping up appearances

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 17:37:52 EDT

    Some time ago I made a note about appearances of UI controls.
    As we will not specify UI structure soon and -even when- we may stay away from relative positioning anyhow and go with absolute positioning of UI controls, a list of appearances 'Standard, Greyed, Hidden, Informational' is fine with me.
    An entry 'no display without even taking space' would only make sense with relative positioning.

    I changed a few feature list names, as I am trying to keep a little more consistency in the naming.

    Although we do not specify UI structure soon, a driver may like to show certain features as check boxes, relying on finding exactly two entries for such a feature. As in 'C' programming FALSE is often the default for a boolean, we make it a rule that we specify the FALSE case first for a feature with exactly two elements working as a toggle.
    This statement overrules previous ones.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade
    Principle Software Engineer