UPD Mail Archive: UPD> schema formats

UPD> schema formats

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 12:13:45 EDT

    Ok, we may have started an avalanche here. But I'm willing to face it.

    One of our major requirements when moving from DTD to schemas is to find out what exactly we mean by that.
    Some statements list DTDs as schemas (which seems to be the correct technical definition), while the more widely used definition is that schemas are the advanced level of DTDs. I think for our internal discussion we follow the latter definition.
    Now it's the question what schema format (sometimes called schema language) we will use.
    I don't feel confident to decide that. While I am ready to disclose my missing knowledge, I am optimistic that we can get to a good decision by gathering the little pieces everyone knows.
    Is the schema format an arbitrary decision?
    What is your favorite and why?

    The second step is thinking about conversion. Everybody says it's easy. My first attempts were facing problems with our small tree structure of DTDs by including few other DTDs in a master. You have valuable recommendations?

    In my research I found a web site looking useful to me:
    http://www.xml.com/pub/a/1999/12/dtd/index.html

    Regards
    Norbert Schade
    Principle Software Engineer