UPD Mail Archive: UPD> latest discussions

UPD> latest discussions

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 12:50:42 EDT

    Some interesting feedback.
    Here are the changes:
    1. comment on two underscores
    that was a typo. repaired on my computer (not yet copied to the web).
    2. backside coating separate feature
    agreed. done on my computer.
    3. proprietary-value
    we now use 'proprietary-value everywhere.
    4. copies and percentages
    we will still go with a consistent feature element structure, but I implemented the required architecture (MinimumValue, MaximumValue, IncrementValue) on my computer. The handling for the driver is as follows:
    Predefined_ID is mandatory. If Predefined_ID shows VariableInteger, ignore Proprietary_ID and work with MinimumValue, MaximumValue, IncrementValue. In this case all three values must be specified. A driver is recommended to use fall backs of 1 for MinimumValue and IncrementValue, but 100 for MaximumValue.
    5. equal, not-equal
    we postpone that discussion a bit until we come closer to interdependencies again. Jim, please remind us.
    6. feature ids and defaults
    in defaults we refer to a feature always and leave it to the driver to figure out, which of the attributes the default settings belongs to. Generally every default setting tells about an ID attribute. If the feature has a Predefined_ID attribute and the Predefined_ID is set to VariableInteger (a safe procedure would check records valid for the current settings of other features only, which should result in one valid record, and not rely that there is only one record existing in the UPDF description), it is telling about the default numeric value (the way I like to talk about unique and classifying attributes, this value much more represents something like the classifying attribute Proprietary_ID. compare it to other features).
    Generic features will get a Feature_ID attribute on the xxxList level, where the UPDF developer can enter a unique feature ID. We have added another default element 'LocaleGenericDefault', where the developer can enter this unique feature ID, while for the 'normal' features we can provide a combo box with all the feature element names, which stand for the feature ID in these cases. That should make it easy to read and to edit.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade
    Principal Software Engineer
    Advanced Development / Connectivity