UPD Mail Archive: UPD> UI string triggering in UPDF

UPD> UI string triggering in UPDF

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 17:14:46 EST

    I want to provide a sample how a driver could read and identify the proper UI strings in a full UPDF description with all features in use. If a driver is not supporting the complete feature set, it has to define its own fallback mechanisms, of course. This sample data flow is just a proposal. But it might help for a better overall understanding.

    Our imaginary sample has IHV locales for US English and German. It has a composite feature Media with predefined ComponentSet elements for Letter/Auto and Letter/Tray2.
    It has an optional unit for an additional input tray 3 with locales for US English and German.
    It has a user policy for user 'Norbert Schade' with a US English locale and an additional ComponentSet Letter/Tray3.
    The host locale is Italian.
    Of course, the search process will be simpler for a simpler configuration.

    I vision that a driver at some point wants to create a complete list of UI strings for one locale.
    Here is how I may design the driver to work.
    The answers are based on this example config.

    Is the host locale provided for certain UI string reference?
    Check, if host locale specific string is available in optional unit description or IHV description for that locale.
    If available or not, check the user policy locales, whether the string is available there or overwritten there.
    General rule: If proper locale is not available anywhere, fall back to US English and start all over again for US English. In case US English is not available, fall back to the first locale listed and start all over again for that first locale.
    Now you must have triggered the string. Otherwise the UPDF description has a problem somewhere.

    Feel free to comment.

    Norbert Schade
    69 Prescott Drive
    North Chelmsford, MA 01863