UPD Mail Archive: UPD> media standardized names: media types

UPD> media standardized names: media types

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 13:24:38 EDT

    in the spec mentioned above there is a list of predefined media types.
    ICC profiles have a special reference to media types as well. this is commonly considered a very Microsoft specific flag. it is reflected in wingdi.h of the DDK. please check values for Standard, Transparency, Glossy and user defined.
    When thinking about that for a moment it becomes clear that any driver has to announce the same media type values for the driver as are used within the ICC profiles. Otherwise Windows would make wrong assignments, a process which is not influenced by a driver.

    ICC media type consistency statement
    that means it is essential that predefined media types have the same predictable value used by drivers and ICC profiles.

    Request
    We need a public table with values for predefined media types as listed in the media standardized names spec.
    Either this has to be added to that spec (my favorite option) or we have to create such a list within UPDF. but this is not a UPDF specific condition. all drivers face the same development condition.

    Checking the rules for media types in Windows, it seems useful to me to reserve all values up to 255 for Microsoft and their predefined values (currently only 0, 1 and 2 are used). A list for other predefined media types should use the range from 256 to 511, while higher values are open for arbitrary types (would mean proprietary types in the UPDF language).

    Do you agree with my view of the conditions?
    Who should create the public list?

    Norbert Schade
    69 Prescott Drive
    North Chelmsford, MA 01863