UPD Mail Archive: UPD> new UPDF specification document: Vers

From: NorbertSchade@oaktech.com
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 14:57:41 EDT

    You can find a new version of the UPDF specification on our web site. Just
    use the reference in the UPDF site. Although the exact version number is
    0.84.0, we'll nickname it 'Version 84' for short reference, as we expect to
    refer to this level regularly.

    We consider Version 84 as a major milestone of the document, as we have
    accomplished some targets.

    1. All information merged into one document.
    Before we had documents, which referred to one special schema. We had
    documents at different places. Not all documents could be accessed from the
    UPDF web site.
    Now we have one document for the specification. The link known by all
    people involved in UPDF refers to that document. It's in PDF format.
    From now on this will be the only document, where you'll find official
    information about the specification.
    One place to search. One file to edit.

    2. The spec shows all tags of all schemas.
    Version 84 reflects all UPDF schemas. There is one section per schema
    (except the data type schema, which is really for the experts). All
    elements and attributes of all schemas are listed.
    We know that not all tags are documented as well as we'd like to. But now
    that's simpler to fill in.

    3. The spec shows a professional layout.
    Although we were hoping for some time that we'd get some help from people
    who do that for living, we finally had to move on. I hope we proved that
    some dry engineers can get something together, which really looks like a
    specification.
    Important details include a table of contents and headings in nine levels
    for all elements. Attributes are formatted in blue for easier detection, as
    they are the main target to look out for when seeking information. Headings
    are numbered for perfect reference.
    From now on it is possible that more than one work on the spec, as we have
    detailed references to avoid overlapping and double-work.

    General
    We know it's not final.
    But this version can be easily extended and is an excellent base for
    discussion.
    Once all tags are filled as required we will be able to start a series of
    last calls. We expect that to start after the New Orleans conference.

    If you have thought about reading through the spec, but always were
    confused by the differences to the schemas, now is the time to jump in.

    One reason for finish the spec on this level was to provide some document
    for discussions with the Semantic Model group in PWG in the Linux guys from
    the freestandards.org. It will now be easier to demonstrate how things are
    suppose to work with this kind of architecture.

    Now the effort for the spec has to come down a bit again to make room for
    the technical work. Meet you there!

    Regards
    Norbert Schade