[IDS] Updated stable draft of IDS Common Log posted

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu May 7 13:19:52 UTC 2015

Chris,

I'll be posting an updated draft today with corrections.

> On May 5, 2015, at 1:12 PM, Rizzo, Christopher <Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com> wrote:
>
> Michael,
>
> My comments:
>
> 1. I don't understand why, but per March 2009 RFC5424 Section 6. Syslog
> Message Format there should be no space (SP) between Priority (PRI) and
> Version (VERSION) in the header (HEADER).  So examples should be like:
> "<66>1 ..." not "<66> 1 ...".

Whoops, missed that...

> 2. Line 286 - "SecurityInvalidAuthenticationService" is not defined in
> section 5.1.2.  Do events not have to be selected from section 5.1.2?  I
> also could not find it in prtAlertCodeTC in the IANA Printer MIB or in PWG
> 5107-3 (Printer Alerts).  But seems this line should be something like
> E="<service>Authentication" S="ServerErrorServiceUnavailable" (picked from
> RFC2911 section 13.1) where maybe <service>=Print unless it is not a
> requirement that events must be pre-defined.  Or do we add a Security
> service to section 5.1.2?

No, that was a hypothetical thing; changing it to "PrintInternalError" (and defining <service>InternalError in 5.1.2) to track internal (configuration/accessibility/etc.) errors in a service.

The status code is only applicable for responses to a client request.

> 3. Line 293 - Line 381-383 imply S="client-error-not-authenticated" should
> be in TitleCase form "ClientErrorNotAuthenticated".  Same issue for line
> 299,

Thanks, fixed!

> Maybe I'm being too picky about the examples?

No, they need to be correct, otherwise they aren't good examples (unless I was trying to show bad messages, which I'm not... :)